|Health workers’ recommendations||
• Advised by health workers to breastfeed for at least six months.|
• Advised by nurse that breast milk is the best option for the baby.
• Advised by nurse that breast milk is healthy and prevents diseases.
• Recommended by doctor to formula feed as there is 25% chance of infection through breastfeeding.
|Perceived benefits of breastfeeding||
• Best choice.|
• Good for the baby.
• Baby will grow fast.
• Unaffordability of formula.
• Breast milk is cheap.
• Breast milk makes baby strong.
• I love to breast milk
• Breast milk helps prevent baby from getting becoming sick or getting infections
• It is the healthiest and the most nutritious option
• Baby will have strong muscle
• Previous experience was good
• Want to experience breastfeeding for the first time
• Breast feeding connects the mother to the baby
• Returning to school|
• Returning to work
• Looking for employment
• Farm work is too much and won’t be able to stay with the baby
|Fear of transmitting the infection to their babies||• I am scared to breastfeed because the baby will be infected|
|Breast related issues||
• Breast milk not secreting/flowing|
• Painful breast
• Breasts have warts
• Baby refused to suck|
• Domestic violence
• Wanted to give baby up for adoption
• Advised by mum/spouse
• No reason